Planning & Building Regulations @ CadstationWhat is planning and do I need approval?

Planning permission or planning consent is the permission required under the Town and Country planning act in the United Kingdom.

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:

  • build a new house
  • make a major change to your building – eg building an extension
  • change the use of your building

However there are exceptions that allow work to be carried out without planning permission. This is called permitted development.

What are building regulations and do I need approval?

Building regulations set minimum standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

The following are typical building works that require approval:

  • The erection or extension of a building
  • Any alteration affecting the structure, fire, or access to buildings
  • Change the building’s fundamental use
  • Renovation of a thermal element
  • Change of a building’s energy status.

We can help with any part of the approval process. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries.